Sunday 31 March 2013

Transitional Monochrome - How to Wear Come Sun or Snow

By now I think we're all aware that monochrome is "in", no? I'm not sure it's ever been "out", and it's certainly always been one of my failsafe looks, but this season's mono-mania has inspired me to get a bit more creative, and, in the absence of any weather bearing the slightest resemblance to spring, popping a black and white ensemble together is the easiest way to channel a new season vibe, even if we can't pack our woollies away just yet.

Hounds vs. Stripes



Dress, Belt, Blazer and Boots: All Primark, Hair Band: New Look (I think! Past Season)

If I hadn't bought this dress and blazer at the same time, I probably wouldn't have thought to put them together, but clashing monochrome patterns is one of the safest, but most impactful, ways to combine contrasting prints. I nabbed both in the Primark sale - the blazer for £7, and the dress for... £1! It was the last of its kind, marked £7 but missing its belt, so the manager agreed to reduce it to £5, but on scanning it found it had already been reduced to £2, so, short of giving it away, there was nothing for it but to give me a 50% reduction!! I always think monochrome goes hand in hand with a '60s look, so the belt, boots and beehive polish it off perfectly for me.


Hounds vs. Hearts

(or Paddington Bear vs. the Everlasting Winter of 2013)

Dress (As Above), Coat and Shoes: All Primark, Hairband: Accessorize

And this is how I'm working the monochrome print clash whilst actually leaving the house in any of my other ensembles would encourage stalactites to form on my eyelashes...


Velvet vs. Wool


Top: Missguided, Skirt: Marks & Spencer (Past Season), Boots: Boohoo (Available Here), Headband: River Island, Rucksack: Peacocks (Past Season)

Another '60s inspired look... velvet and woollen fabrics add a cosy-luxe feel, whilst a flash of tummy takes the look into the new season (addition of substantial coat clearly necessary if actually venturing out in the current climate though!). This age 12 M&S kids' skirt has been one of my staples for years now - I've never seen such a cute dogtooth skater designed for adults!


Sheer Abandon

Skirt: Primark, Boots: Boohoo (Available Here), Jumper: Morgan (Past Season!)

Another texture clash combining winter and spring; snuggle and glamour/goosebumps.


Sharpening My Pencil

Skirt: River Island (Past Season), Top: Forever 21 (Past Season), Shoes: Primark (Current)

Another of my most satisfyingly good value houndstooth sales purchases of all time (a River Island skirt for £10 = RESULT), this pencil skirt has served me faithfully for a year - equally perfect with a jumper and opaques, classic shirt or crop top, depending on meteorological conditions - a true monochromatic hero buy!


With a Bow on Top

Dress and Shoes: Both Primark, Hair Bow: Peacocks

Teaming my first "illusion" panelled dress with my first faux-hair bow for a ladylike-but-fun look!


All Tied Up

Top: New Look (Past Season), Skirt, Socks and Trainers: All Primark

And here is my first attempt to tie my own hair in a bow! It makes me feel a little Harajuku Girl, especially combined with the socks! This is a peplum top which I've already featured a couple of times, cunningly disguised as a humble striped tee!


Riviera vs. Disco

Top: Quiz (Available Here), Disco Pants: Daisy Street (Available Here), Shoes: Dorothy Perkins (Past Season), Sunglasses: Accessorize (Past Season)

I've craved a pair of high-waisted capri pants for years, if not decades, so, this time, I decided to go DIY - turn my disco pant hems up - et voila! The sunglasses may be rather optimistic, but call it a rehearsal for summer...


Are you seeing everything in black and white this season?



Follow Me:

 Follow Me On Bloglovin’RSS FeedFacebookInstagramPinterest

9 comments:

  1. Love the last one, but my absolute fav is With a Bow on Top! You look stunning in that dress.
    Love your blog!
    The Movie Life of JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all so beautiful! I love the velvet top and skirt and the disco pants with the crop polo the best!!

    www.studdedkisses.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the first look! it's very much of my type of style. And you look gorgeous on that pencil skirt! Fantastic post! xo
    Maria C
    http://shoesandgloss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice reapit. Have a great monday.

    http://www.fashiondenis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great in every outfit! I particularly love your pencil skirt from River Island :-)

    hannahsfashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete