Monday 18 March 2013

Put A Lid On It... A Few (More) of My Favourite Hats

I'm a big hat fan (you've probably already spotted my bowler, trilby, cossack or pillbox around) and have had this post on ice for a while, trying to save up a more "complete" selection of ensembles to show you, but a fashion blogger's work is never done - there will always be more hats, more outfits, more photos! So here are a few ways I've been wearing them over the last few months... (During the winter months, I challenge myself to amuse/bemuse my ever-appreciative uncle with a different hat every week on our regular familial coffee date). I'm always wary of over-accessorising, but the right hat is a great foil for under-accessorising (as well as keeping the snow/sun off and greasy roots covered) - such an easy way to transform a simple outfit combo from blah to brilliant!

'70s Boho


Hat: Primark (Past Season), Jumper: Primark, Skirt: Jane Norman

Words cannot express how happy I was when floppy felt made the retro boho-chic look workable all year round! These pictures were taken last autumn - a great in-between-seasons look, combining summery and wintery influences (and the first of my outfits to be repinned on Pinterest - yay!).

The Cloche


Hat, Dress, Belt and Collar: All Primark, Shoes: Dorothy Perkins (Past Season)

I've always loved a good cloche for its ability to add a touch of elegant '20s/'30s-style glamour to a simple ensemble - the perfect serving of Downton chic! This £8 beauty was one of last season's best high street finds for me. Along with the collar, it added an instant injection of fun to this classic shift, on a day when I wanted to look slightly understated (but never too much!).


Hat: H&M (Past Season), Dress, Shirt and Pumps: All Primark (Past Season)

Another cloche - this one I've had for a few years now. This was the outfit lurking under the fur coat on my Christmas steam train trip (I wanted to get into the vintage vibe... and ahead of the pack with an early transitional monochrome outfit, obvs).

The Baker Boy


Hat: Accessorize, Coat: Freemans (Past Season), Gloves: H&M (Past Season), Boots: Primark

Ah, the baker boy/paperboy/whichever-boy-you-fancy cap... probably the first "fashiony" style of hat I cottoned onto, back when Britney was rocking the look (pre-head shave) - I've sported a few over the years, this being my latest. A bad hair day staple!

How do you feel about hats? Any on this season's hitlist? I've been after the perfect fedora for an age, and think I might just be tempted by a blinged-up rapper-style baseball cap if one catches my eye at the right price... whilst the straw floppies, turbans and boaters will of course be coming out again ready for my SS13 takes on '70s boho/vintage Riviera chic!


Follow Me:

 Follow Me On Bloglovin’RSS FeedFacebookInstagramPinterest

3 comments:

  1. Love the Cloche in black. Those hats are timeless.

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Monica, the Cloche is so cute! I have one similar in grey and I love it!
    xo
    MAria C
    http://shoesandgloss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! I didn't realise anyone else loved them as much as I do!!

    ReplyDelete